Friday, March 13, 2015

2000 words a day...

So, I have this little self-imposed deadline, where I have to have almost 70,000 words drafted by the middle of next month. In order to do that, I need to write around 2,000 words a day. More, if I want to take Sundays off.

Most days so far, I haven't accomplished that. Or anywhere close.

Here's what I've done instead:

  • Freelance writing (yay money, boo time lost on non-fiction writing)
  • Volunteer writing and editing (yay service)
  • Kids and husband  (yay human connection)
  • Housework and meals (usually while watching Netflix--yay inspiration)
  • Facebook (yay friends)
  • Shopping, dentist appointments, driving kids to school and/or visitation, etc (yay... uh... living?)
  • Blogging (yay outlet)
  • Squirrels! (boo. just boo)
BUT, I've been getting better each day that I've actually sat down and made myself draft. Faster.

Thursday morning I drafted almost 1000 words and then spent some time fine-tuning my outline, so future drafting days can go more smoothly.

At my normal top speed (sometimes I can go faster, but not often), I write around 1000 words in an hour. I'm thinking I need to do more 1k1hr sprints, and leave off the break I take if I only write for 30 minutes. 

Anyway, to hold myself accountable, I'm going to start posting my word count each week when I blog. This'll be fun, no?

What do you do to make yourself write faster?

No comments:

Post a Comment